FORT SMITH LANDFILL FACTS
Waste Accepted From
The City of Fort Smith Department of Sanitation will accept debris from the following Counties: Sebastian, Crawford, Franklin, Logan and Scott counties in Arkansas and LeFlore and Sequoyah counties in Oklahoma. All household waste generated by residents of these counties can be disposed of at the City of Fort Smith Department of Sanitation with payment of appropriate fees.
Current Scale House Rates:
Standard Pickup, Car, SUV $23.48 per load
All other vehicles and pickups, cars, or SUV pulling a trailer $44.12 per ton (2,000 pounds) with a $20.00 minimum
First Saturday of each month, City of Fort Smith Residents paying a water/sanitation monthly fee, whose account is in "good standing" will recieve a discount on debris brought into the landfill via Standard Pickup, Car, or SUV. This day only the rate is $12.50 per load.
Covers Required On Vehicles Transporting Waste
Pursuant to City of Fort Smith Solid Waste Code Section 25-279(d), all motor vehicles hauling garbage, trash or other waste to the city landfill shall be appropriately covered or enclosed so as to prevent any portion of the vehicle’s contents from leaking, blowing, dropping, falling off or otherwise departing from the vehicle; provided any motor vehicle, the contents of which are predominantly metallic materials or brush and limbs, shall not be required to be covered or enclosed in the event that the cargo is loaded and secured in such a manager as to prevent any portion of the cargo from falling or dropping from the vehicle. Any vehicle transporting garbage, trash or other waste and not appropriately covered or enclosed shall be allowed access to the landfill ONLY by paying two (2) times the normal landfill fee for the disposal of the contents of the vehicle.
Designated Areas for Dumping of Particular Wastes
Persons using the City of Fort Smith Department of Sanitation’s solid waste facilities must follow the regulations posted at the facilities regarding areas to be used for dumping of each type of waste, i.e. household/residential waste, yard waste, white goods, etc.
Special wastes must be approved for disposal in advance by the City of Fort Smith Sanitary Landfill Manager and by the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality.
The Landfill Spotter will conduct at least two (2) random inspections a day on random vehicles unloading waste at the unloading area.
Not Allowed to be buried on the Landfill, however some items may be recycled or disposed of another way
- Non-solidified Paint - Only paint from Sebastian County residents can be received. It must be taken to the Convenience Center; where the determination will be made as either to solidify the produce for placement in the landfill, or to be placed in the Hazardous Waste Reuse building for use by other residents.
- Burn Barrels - the debris must be removed from the barrel and placed in garbage bags, then it can be disposed of.
- Gas cans or tanks with liquid in them.
- Tires, unless they have been cut and quartered.
- Used motor oils/filters not dome-punched and hot drained
- Dry cell batteries containing cadmium or mercury
- Wet cell or lead acid batteries
- Domestic septic tank pumpings
- Incinerator ash and residues
- Free liquids as defined by US EPA test Method 9095 (Paint Filter Test)
- Regulated bio-medical waste (red-bagged), including veterinary waste that has not been properly segregated, treated (sterilized/incinerated) and rendered unrecognizable
- Cylinders of compressed gas and drumps that do not meet the RCRA definition for empty as defined under 40 CFR 261
- Electrical Transformers and dielectric fluids
- Petroleum contaminated soils that fail to meet specific TPH, BETX, TCLP, and/or other analyses as may be applicable
- Cresol treated wood that has not been certified hazard free
- All appliance compressors, regardless of condition
- Pesticide, herbicide, and fungicide containers that have not been triple rinsed and punctured
- Hazardous and PCB wastes as defined in 40 CFR 261 and 761
- Firearms, ammunition, gunpowder, fireworks or any other type of explosives
- Florescent light bulbs from commercial businesses
YARD WASTE - COMPOST
All yard waste coming into the Fort Smith Landfill will be directed to the Composting Facility for offloading of the yard waste. The collected yard waste material will then be run through a wood grinder to shred the yard waste into grindings. The grindings are placed into windrows in the facility to begin the composting process. The windrows are monitored for moisture content, temperature, and stability. Once the compost windrows are at ambient temperature the rows are ready for the final process. The rows are them put into a final screener, to separate the final product. The screener separates the final product and the non-final product material. The final product, compost, will be sold to the public at the rate of $10.00 per cubic yard for City of Fort Smith Residents and $15 per cubic yard for Non-Residents and Small Businesses (i.e. landscapers, etc.). The availability of compost to customers is first come first serve. Customers are limited to two (2) cubic yards a week.