Do your homework before you have work done on your home or business. Use this checklist to help you select a contractor whom you can trust with your most valuable asset.
- Does the contractor have a permanent business location and a good reputation with local banks and suppliers?
- How long has the business been around? Call (479) 784-2216 or (479) 784-2299 for Business License information.
- Is the contractor certified or licensed for the craft work you need done? Electrical, mechanical and plumbing work must be performed by certified State Licensed and City Registered contractors. Call (479) 784-2206 or (479) 784-2288 to verify registration.
- Call the State Attorney General's office to check for any outstanding complaints. Call (501) 682-2007 to verify with the State Attorney General.
- Does the contractor have proof of workmen's compensation and general liability insurance? If not, you may be liable for any construction related accident on your premises.
- Ask the contractor to provide you with names of previous customers. Talk to the previous customers to see if they would hire the same contractor again.
- Have you seen the contractor's work, both completed and in progress? Check for quality of workmanship and materials.
- Are you able to communicate easily with the contractor? Misunderstandings during the course of a project can lead to costly overruns and delays.
- Do you feel comfortable with the contractor? You will be in close contact with the business and will share your house or business with the crew until the project is completed.
- Will the contractor provide you with a complete and clearly written contract?
To inquire if a contractor has a State Contractors License contact the Contractors Licensing Board at (501) 372-4661.
Building permit requirements and other questions you may call (479) 784-2288 for further information.