This webpage contains the requirements for obtaining an Apartment (5 Units or More) Commercial or an Industrial building permits and inspection information for the City of Fort Smith, Arkansas.
CURRENTLY ADOPTED CODES FOR Apartments (5 units or More) Commercial or an Industrial CONSTRUCTION:
2012 Arkansas State Fire Prevention Code Volume I, Volume II and Volume III
Volume I is based on the 2012 IFC with Arkansas Amendments Volume II is based on the 2012 IBC with Arkansas Amendments Volume III is based on the 2012 IRC with Arkansas Amendments
2009 ICC A117.1 As refereanced in the 2012 Arkansas Fire Prevention Code Volume II Section 1101.2
2012 NFPA Life Safety Code
2006 Arkansas Plumbing Code Based on 2006 IPC with Arkansas Amendments
- City Plumbing & Gas Code Amendments
2010 Arkansas Mechanical Code Based on 2010 IMC with Arkansas Amendments
2017 National Electric Code - City Electrical Code Amendments
2014 Arkansas Energy Code Based on 2014 IECC with Arkansas Amendments
A.C.A. 12-80-101 through 12-80-104 - Earthquake Resistant Design
2006 Arkansas Fuel Gas Code Based on 2006 IGC with Arkansas Amendments
Arkansas State Law requires that contractors be licensed with the State of Arkansas. For more information contact the Arkansas Contractors Licensing Board at (501) 372-4661 or on the internet at www.state.ar.us/clb/
A City of Fort Smith Business Occupation License is required to operate within the jurisdiction of the City of Fort Smith. We reciprocate with other cities in the State of Arkansas when the contractor has no office within the City of Fort Smith.
All building permits for construction projects may be obtained by the owner, general contractor, or their agent at 623 Garrison Avenue Suite 405. Phone for information by calling (479) 784-2288. Office hours are Monday thru Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Plans may be submitted for review by parties other than those who will obtain the actual permit.
NEW CONSTRUCTION AND ADDITIONS:
Submit a Property Survey: The survey must be certified by an Arkansas Licensed Professional Surveyor.
The site plan must be prepared by a professional engineer or an architect which is registered in the State of Arkansas. The minimum requirements for the site plan are listed below.
- Legal Description
- Property Lines and Pins
- Right-of-way, easements and setbacks
- Name and Location of Street
- All Existing and Proposed Structures (Structures as defined by ordinance)
- Distance of Structures from Property Lines
- Location of Driveway(s), designed to City Ordinance standards.
- Location and size of all public utilities, existing and/or proposed and service connections.
- Minimum finished floor elevation (if within the 100-year flood plain)
- Screened trash pick-up (as required by ordinance)
- Parking arrangement showing individual spaces including all handicap spaces.
- Drainage plan and retention if required.
- Landscaping plan when applicable.
Floor plan, showing all floors including basements. Show all rooms, with their use, overall dimensions and location of all structural elements and openings. Show all doors and windows. Provide door, window and finish schedules. Show all fire assemblies and area separations.
Exterior elevations, showing all views of the structure. Show all vertical dimensions and heights. Show all openings and identify all materials.
The correct address for the project must be supplied. The address my be obtained from the Engineering Department of the City of Fort Smith, 623 Garrison Avenue Suite 409. Phone (479) 784-2225. All correspondence and records are maintained by the street address.
ALTERATIONS TO EXISTING BUILDINGS:
- Where there is no square footage added to the structure. No change of occupancy.
- 4 complete set of plans
- Submit the same plans as listed for new construction except for the site plan.
BUILDING PERMIT INFORMATION:
The building permit card shall be posted in a conspicuous place on the front of the premises. The permit card shall be kept on the property until the Building Inspector removes it at the final inspection.
Inspections shall be made by the inspectors upon notification of the permit holder. Inspectors will either approve the construction as completed or will notify the permit holder wherein it does not pass inspection or comply with the applicable code.
1. Foundation inspection - This made after the trenches have been excavated, the forms erected, all reinforcing steel is in place, and all materials for the foundation delivered. Concrete supplied from a central mixing plant does not have to be on the site during inspection.
2. Concrete slab - This is made after all in-slab or underfloor plumbing, electrical, conduit, piping accessories and their ancillary equipment items have been inspected. Reinforcing wire, vapor barrier and termite protection must be installed prior to this inspection.
3. Plumbing, mechanical and electrical - Rough (in wall, ceiling and attic) inspection made prior to covering or concealment and before fixtures are set.
4. Framing inspection - This is made after the roof, all framing, fire blocking and bracing are in place, after all pipes, chimneys and vents are complete, and after the rough electrical, mechanical, plumbing and heating wires, pipes and ducts are approved. WALLS CANNOT BE COVERED UNTIL THIS INSPECTION IS APPROVED.
5. Final inspection - Plumbing and electrical and mechanical inspections are required before the final building inspection.
6. Final inspection - This is made when the building has been completed and is ready for occupancy, address numbers are installed and all site grading and drainage are completed. A BUILDING CANNOT BE LAWFULLY OCCUPIED UNTIL A FINAL INSPECTION AND SUBSEQUENT CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY IS ISSUED THEREFOR.
Work shall not be done on any part of a building or structure beyond the point indicated in each successive inspection without first obtaining the written approval of the Building Official, or his designated agent. Such written approval shall be given only after an inspection shall have been made of each successive step in the construction as indicated by each of the foregoing inspections.
Inspection Requests are only taken between the hours of:
8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Monday thru Friday
Inspection Request Phone Numbers:
Building Safety Office
Parking requirements, zoning, setbacks, fencing, platting of property, etc. call (479) 784-2216.
Driveway design, drainage, flood plain, addresses, public and private improvements, etc. call (479) 784-2225.
Water and sewer taps, locations, fire hydrants, sprinkler systems, backflow protection of water system, etc. call (479) 784-1016 and 494-3913
Building code requirements call (479) 784-2288.
Plan Submittal Questions:
Call (479) 784-2288